Bring on the blueberries! This dairy-free (and low-sugar!) lemon blueberry muffins recipe is a seasonal gem, jam-packed with berry goodness and zingy lemon zest. We heartily recommend this recipe created by our very own recipe developer, Chef Nate Lopez. Instead of using sugar and butter, Nate suggests adding coconut oil, applesauce and honey – making these muffins a healthy and delicious treat for the entire family. They’re perfect for breakfast or as a finale to any meal!
Weekend Tip: Get the kids involved and bake these muffins together as a family.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Prep Time: 1 hour
Bake Time: 35 min
Yield: 15 medium sized muffins
Tools Needed: Muffin tins (preferably silicone), blender, spatula, measurement cups, cupcake liners (optional)
2 cups Rolled Oats
1¼ cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 tbls Poppy Seeds
½ tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking powder
1tsp Baking soda
½ cup Coconut oil spread
1 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
½ cup Honey
1.5 cups Blueberries
zest of one whole lemon
Spray canola oil for muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a muffin pan with non-stick cooking oil. Set aside.
- Place Oats in a high powered blender and run on high until it begins to take on a flour consistency.
- Add oat flour, whole wheat flour, poppy seeds, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to bowl. Mix all dry ingredients to combine.
- In a blender combine eggs, coconut oil spread, unsweetened applesauce and honey. Blend until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry flour, mix and combine with spatula.
- Gently fold in blueberries and the zest of one lemon.
- Using either a #8 ice cream scoop or a ½ dry measuring cup, place batter into cupcake lined muffin tins.
- Bake at 350˚ for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Eat the lemon blueberry muffins and enjoy while warm! Otherwise, these should keep in an airtight contain in the fridge.